Wednesday, April 23, 2003

They Should Call You Dumb

Gratuitous cheap shot of the day, coming right up:
You know how on all these websites now there are these Personal Ads of the Day and somebody's cutsie little picture is there with some tantalizing quote? Well the one one the Onion, was some guy named "theycallmeox." Here's his comment:

Last great book I read: "Raymond Carver. Generally I like contemporary lit, but this was a blatant attempt to look brainy for a girl."

Wow, Ox, if I may call you that, how did it work out for you? I assume that in your estimation, contemporary literature is comprised of those books/stories/poems, etc., that were composed FIVE MINUTES AGO because Raymond Carver has been publishing all through the 70s and 80s. What, is "contemporary lit" code for "comic books" nowadays?

[p.s. this is why i don't have friends]


UPDATE:
Perhaps Ox was trying to say that, although he does like contemporary literature, that was not the reason he was reading Carver. He was reading it to impress the girl, not to satisfy his taste for this particular genre which he does, in fact, enjoy.

....

nah.

UPDATE II:
I can't believe I just blogged about a personal ad. What the hell is the matter with me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home