Tuesday, June 03, 2003

And now for some hard news

Proving that there is no such thing as bad publicity, I kind of want to see Vincent Gallo's new film "Brown Bunny," since it is widely considered one of The Worst Movies Ever. Here's how Roger Ebert summed up the Cannes screening:
Gallo's "Brown Bunny," which screened as one of three American entries in the official competition, was the lowest-rated film in the history of Screen International, the British trade paper that tabulates votes of a panel of critics. It was booed and laughed at during its screenings, there were countless walkouts, and its inclusion as an official selection called into question the judgment, even the sanity, of the programmers.

Chloe Sevigny, who plays a role in the film, reportedly cried during the screening. Gallo himself reportedly confessed "I accept what the critics say. If no one wants to see it, they are right. I apologize to the financiers of the film, but I must assure you it was never my intention to make a pretentious film, a self-indulgent film, a useless film, an unengaging film." and "It is a disaster and a waste of time."

Well all that was last weeks news. Roger Ebert wrote a snarky article about the terrible flick, and Gallo took offense. (somehow). Gallo said something to the effect of "I have cursed Ebert's colon," and Ebert, ever ready for the trash talk, replied with my favorite quote of the week: "I don't know what he meant . . . but when I had my last colonoscopy, they let me watch it on a little TV, and it was far more entertaining than 'Brown Bunny."

BOOM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home