Monday, June 02, 2003

For those of you who break out in hives at the sound of conservative talk-show radio hosts or Fox News anchors, Atrios unearths a gem of a transcript. It's from way back in May 2001, but involves dear Hannity whose star has inexplicably been rising. Here's a selection from a conversation between Hannity and RFK, Jr discussing US oil dependency and drilling in ANWR:

HANNITY: In 1973, the United States imported 36 percent of its oil. Today, it's almost 60 percent that we're importing presently.

ANWR production, based on the lower numbers, anywhere between six billion -- six-trillion and 19-trillion barrels. ANWR production could percent of this entire refuge, for 30 years.

KENNEDY: Well, that's not true. That -- that's just a bogus...

HANNITY: U.S. Geo -- let me read you...

KENNEDY: That's a bogus...

HANNITY: The U.S. Geological Survey estimates oil...

KENNEDY: This is a misreport. I guarantee you, Sean. But let me tell you something else.

HANNITY: Excuse me. Well, no, no. No. Wait. Don't tell me. I'm reading from the U.S. Geological Survey estimates. It could be as much as 16-billion barrels of oil, which would be the largest supply of domestic oil ever discovered.

KENNEDY: Let me see that.

HANNITY: Right there.

KENNEDY: You're reading from an advertisement by the...

HANNITY: No, I am not.

KENNEDY: ... Energy Steward Alliance.

HANNITY: Let me -- let me put...

KENNEDY: Wait a minute. This is not honest, Sean.

HANNITY: Get my still ready from the Boston paper.

KENNEDY: Sean, this is not honest.

HANNITY: Get my -- get my still ready from the Boston paper.

KENNEDY: This is not honest to say that you're reading from the Geological Survey.

HANNITY: Excuse me. Excuse me. Can I -- let's -- it is -- let me quote...

KENNEDY: No. This isn't -- this is from an energy propaganda.

[Kennedy reaches over and takes it out of his hands]

HANNITY: Give me my paper!

(LAUGHTER)

HANNITY: Can I -- I'm going to put up from the Boston -- hang on a second. Hang on a second. From the -- from the Boston paper. Here it is. This is from "The Boston Herald," your neck of the woods, hardly a right- wing paper.

KENNEDY: "The Boston Herald"?

HANNITY: Environmental...

KENNEDY: Are you kidding me? That's as right wing as...

HANNITY: Well, you -- you want to discourage everyone. This is the U.S.

KENNEDY: Well, this is not the U.S. Geological Survey.

HANNITY: Wait. Excuse me. Wait a minute. I have the survey. I have the -- wait a minute.

KENNEDY: Sean...

HANNITY: I'm going to show you the survey.

[thanks to eppy for the link]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home