Friday, July 18, 2003

From the newswire: New Saddam Tape Urges Iraqi Holy War.

Yeah, I heard that Saddam recording. It was pretty good, you know, but I liked them better the first time, when they were called Osama. What is happening to the recording industry? Interpol rocks, but hello? Joy Division called, and they want their sound back! Everything is so derivative now. I mean, if I want to listen to someone calling for the death and destruction of me and my loved ones, I'm going to go for the original every time. I think Osama really thoroughly explored this jihad bit, and Saddam is just embarassing himself. Of course, it could just be a tribute recording, or a cover of Osama, but if so he really should clarify because I smell a copyright lawsuit.

In honor of the new tape, I'm going to replay one of my favorite Poorman posts ever. Written many moons ago when Osama released yet another tape calling for jihad:
This is all getting a bit repetitive. Wage jihad against America. I think we've got it now. Fucking established. If there was anyone out there who was mistakenly racing hot rods against Armenia or shaking peapods against Albania or something, and for whom this tape proved a much-needed clarification of official Qaeda policy, then, obviously, I stand corrected. But judging by the fact that your organization has spent the past eighteen months dying, being arrested, and blowing up obscure sections of the third world, I think you might be spending too much effort on building brand awareness and not enough on, you know, terrorizing me. Bring it, don't sing it. I'm not saying I actually want anything bad to happen, I just think that, based on recent performances, your tape-recorded messages belong less on the front page, and more in a very special episode of "Where Are They Now?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home