Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Christopher Hitchens on diets: "I'm against them!"

(Believe it or not)

He makes a spirited case for the epicurean lifestyle ("RELAX. There's nothing amiss that a solid martini, followed by a thick sirloin and some crusty bread - washed down with some fine, old bloodstained Burgundy - wouldn't cure."), but he doesn't do so before ripping off Willie Nelson.

Hitchens:
"The best way of getting through is to eat and drink heartily, in order to keep up your strength, and to ask yourself why it is that you meet more old drunks than old doctors."


Willie (from "I Gotta Get Drunk"):
There's a lot of doctors that tell me
I better start slowin' it down
But there's more old drunks than there are old doctors
So I think that I'll have another round!


Sure, this phrase might just be an old saying, but I like to trace my old sayings back to Willie and stop right there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home