Wednesday, December 31, 2003

If you've ever edited a document that has been translated from a foreign language into "English," you'll understand why returning to my long-neglected blog suddenly seems so appealing.

It's a brilliant New Year's Eve Day today, and unlike the New Years's of my recent youth which were usually spent drink-sodden in New Orleans, I don't have any extravagant plans. Though Kriston insists we'll be ringing in 2004 in a hospital ward because I'm forcibly demanding an afternoon on the outdoor ice skating rink in the sculpture garden on the national mall. He must have never been invited to a single girl's birthday party between the age of 10-14, because the boy has never been on ice. I'll try to snap some charming photos of his scowling, snarling holiday cheer.

Several years ago, I made a New Year's Resolution to stop making New Year's Resolutions. This relieved me of the trouble for a few years, just as my Lenten commitment to give up giving up things for Lent was a coup in the annals of uninterrupted gluttony. I'm reversing that trend this year, but I won't bore you with my new self-improvement programme, except to say that at some point this year I will learn how to kick some serious ass and Lord help any street urchin with designs on my wallet. Plus I'm going to be nicer.

So ready or not, here comes 2004. I have a frightening tower of books that I'm frantic to read over the next year, so if I ever get around to the Da Vinci Code, it probably won't be before the movie comes out. I will be ready to begin graduate applications next summer, but the GRE seems an unnecessary nuisance. My January trip to the Ukraine fell through, though I hope another will come through by October. Was there always such a see-saw to our years?

So long '03. You brought me many fine moments, but there's no time to dwell. Time marches on, and besides the office closed half an hour ago.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home