Friday, October 22, 2004

Ya Heard?

Tell me true, is there anything funnier than eavesdropping on other people's conversations? And isn't that also just about the greatest part about living in a city where you have to, you know, walk places and take the subway and so forth?

Like just the other day, I was on the bus and these two little princesses flitted on board. I was guessing high school seniors, college freshman, somewhere around there. You know the type, all doe-eyed and naive but hyper-sexualized? Wearing the too-short Paris Hilton flouncy minis, of course.
Girl #1: Oh my God, it would totally suck if I died.
Girl #2: ...uh, yeah! It would!
Girl #1: [thoughtful pause] I don't know. Sometimes I say really stupid shit.
Right on, sister, and luckily for all of us, you say stupid shit out loud and so that we can all smirk and mentally mock you, and not think about the time we were once freshmen in college singing songs from Rent on the subway because we lived in the fucking intolerable fine arts dorm with a bunch of musical theater majors who we hated, but couldn't resist those catchy tunes.

So I'm totally psyched that my free time will now be spent perusing a site dedicated to eavesdropping: Overheard in New York. Gorgeous idea. And it gave me the greatest line I've heard since America's Next Top Model Season 3 ("Bitch poured beer in my weave!), overhead in the East village: I want Gloria Steinem's eyeballs in my fucking martini!

I'm not sure what it means, but it's fantastic and I'm almost tempted to bump Johnny Cash from my blog subtitle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home