Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cold Worriers

Bizarrely, former General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev was in Midland, TX. I guess the speaking circuit is really taking him to the dustbowl of history.

He's jawing off about the Tortilla Curtain being the new Berlin Wall and how the murder of Anna Politkovskaya is big-B bad for Russian democracy.

Incidentally, the murder of Anna Politkovskaya is all the rage in my political Russian language class these days. We're supposed to discuss Russian news, in Russian, so it's all murders and intrigues and sanktsii against Iran and North Korea.

It's a bit funny, focusing on political vocabulary when my regular speech in Russian has slipped so much. We're all a bunch of ignorant little Brezhnevs now. For example, I am perfectly comfortable telling you that the relations between the two countries are built upon a foundation of mutual cooperation and trust but I can't ever remember how to say "I woke up."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home